Kidney Cancer Disease
Every human they have two kidneys. The kidneys are a pair of organs on either side of the spine in the lower abdomen. Each kidney is composed of about one million microscopic "filtering packets" called glomeruli. The kidneys are part of the urinary tract which made urine by removing wastes and extra water from the blood.
What is kidney cancer disease?
Kidney cancer is cancer that forms in tissues of the kidneys. Kidney cancer develops most often in people over 40, but no one knows the exact causes of this disease.
The most common type of kidney cancer in adult is renal cell carcinoma (RCC), approximately 85% of all cases. This is kind of cancer that forms in the lining of very small tubes in the kidney that filter the blood and remove waste products). The Other kidney cancer disease which attack some adult is renal pelvis carcinoma (RPC). Renal pelvis carcinoma is a kidney cancer that forms in the center of the kidney where urine collects.
Kidney cancer in the children are more likely to develop a kind of kidney cancer called Wilms' tumor. Early diagnosis of kidney cancer is important.
Who's at risk to get kidney cancer disease?
- Some of research or studies have found that the risk factors to get kidney cancer are :
- Smoking: Cigarette smoking is a major risk factor to develop of many cancer. The smokers are twice as likely as nonsmokers to get kidney cancer disease. Simply we can say that, smoking can make increase of value in the kidney cancer disease.
- Obesity: The people who has fat body (obese) are also as high risk to get kidney cancer disease.
- High blood pressure: High blood pressure increases the risk of kidney cancer.
- Long-term dialysis: The patient who always getting dialysis treatment for many years are having risk factor for kidney cancer disease.
- Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL) syndrome: VHL is a rare disease that runs in some families. It is caused by changes in the VHL gene. An abnormal VHL gene increases the risk of kidney cancer. It also can cause cysts or tumors in the eyes, brain, and other parts of the body. Family members of those with this syndrome can have a test to check for the abnormal VHL gene. For people with the abnormal VHL gene, doctors may suggest ways to improve the detection of kidney cancer and other diseases before symptoms develop.
- Occupation: Those people who contact with certain chemicals or substances in their workplace, They are also include in the risk of getting kidney cancer disease. Coke oven workers in the iron and steel industry are at risk. Workers exposed to asbestos or cadmium also may be at risk.
- Gender: Males are more likely than females to be diagnosed with kidney cancer disease. Each year in the United States, about 20,000 men and 12,000 women learn they have kidney cancer.
According to the National Cancer Institute, the highest incidence of kidney cancer occurs in the United States, Canada, Northern Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. The lowest incidence is found in Thailand, China, and the Philippines.
What is Sign and Symptom of Kidney Cancer?
Kidney cancer disease rarely causes signs or symptoms in the early stages, But in the later stages of kidney cancer disease mostly perform signs and symptoms bellow:
- Blood in the urine (appear pink, red or cola-colored)
- A lump or mass in the abdomen
- Unexplained weight loss
- Back pain just below the ribs that doesn't go away
- Loss of appetite
- Intermittent Fever
- Swelling (edema) in the legs and ankles
- Feeling very tired or having a general feeling of poor health
How to Diagnose of kidney cancer disease?
To diagnose of kidney cancer diseasse the Doctors may order the following examination :
Physical exam: Is there any fever and high blood pressure, and He/She also feels the abdomen and side for tumors.
- Urine tests: Urine is checked for blood and other signs of disease.
- Blood tests: The lab checks the blood to see how well the kidneys are working. The lab may check the level of several substances, such as creatinine. A high level of creatinine may mean the kidneys are not doing their job.
- Now days, Most of kidney cancers disease are discovered by chance when an imaging test such as computed tomography (CT) or Ultrasonography.
How to decide stage of kidney cancer disease?
- Stage I Kidney Cancer disease, the cancer is found only in the kidney.
- Stage II Kidney Cancer, the cancer has spread to the fat around the kidney, but the cancer has not spread beyond this to the capsule that contains the kidney.
- Stage III Kidney Cancer, In this stage the kidney cancer disease classified by the cancer spreading to the main blood vessel that carries clean blood from the kidney (renal vein), to the blood vessel that carries blood from the lower part of the body to the heart (inferior vena cava), or to lymph nodes around the kidney.
- Stage IV Kidney Cancer, the cancer has spread to nearby organs such as the bowel or pancreas or has spread to other places in the body such as the lungs.
Treatment of kidney cancer disease :
Treatment for kidney cancer disease depends on a number of factors including the stage of the cancer, and the patient's general health and age. Bellow are options that may perform by the doctor to treat their patient who diagnose as kidney cancer disease :
- Surgery (to remove cancerous tissue)
- Chemotherapy (using drugs to destroy cancer cells)
- Radiation therapy (using high-energy radiation to destroy cancer cells and shrink tumors)
- Hormone therapy (using hormones to prevent cancer cell growth)
- Biological or Immunotherapy (using compounds produced by the body's immune system, or laboratory-produced copies of them, to destroy cancer cells)
posted by Cancer Disease @ 16.5.09,